A solution for searching inside DTS packages – Part 1 / 2

Being able to search through all your source code for impact analysis is nice when you are undergoing database refactoring, it is especially important if not all your code is wrapped up in stored procedures.

As I was working extensively with (hundreds of) DTS packages at one stage, it was not always feasible to open up each package and inspect the SQL statements within, a more efficient approach was obviously required.

It didn’t take me long to find a script which would become the core component of my solution. All I needed to do was to modify the script so it could work with DTS packages that were stored on the file system. In addition, I went one step further and loaded all the text output into a database and in the end I had effectively built a sys.sql_modules table for DTS packages.

My script can be found here. In my next blog post, I will show you how I put all the pieces together and formed a working solution.